It is hard to believe we've already been home a week and a half. It has been a whirlwind of fun and emotion. Nastia is adjusting really well and we are happy for that but know that there is still a lot of work ahead.
When she and I were in Ukraine together I taught her to say "enough" if she was done eating. Somehow, this has turned into a word all her own...nuf. I think it is a combination of "enough" and "no."She says nuf if she is done eating, if she has had enough playing with a certain toy, if she is fed up with playing with her brothers, if she doesn't want something, if she is answering no to any question we ask. I think I hear this made up word at least 200 times a day. I'm trying to help her understand that it isn't a word and to reteach the words no and enough. We're getting there.
Drew's mother is tutoring Nastia right now, which has been such a blessing. Thank you so much! She is a teacher by profession and offered to teach Nastia the alphabet, counting, and other basic school need to knows. She knows about half the alphabet now and can count to eleven in English. She can count backwards from 5 and is writing her name in English without help. She knows the primary color names in English. Everyday she is learning a little more English. She still doesn't know a lot, but we're making progress with that as well. She understands a lot more than she can speak.
She is, for the most part, a very obedient child. A little whiny at times (well, really a lot of times), but what child isn't. She's learning that mom doesn't respond to whining or to tattletaling. And slowly learning better ways to deal with problems she encounters with her new brothers.
One interesting thing that she has shared with me and others, that have asked her, is she doesn't miss Ukraine or her family that she has left behind. She's just happy to be here. We have clarified that she is excited for Masha to come. I think she's just enjoying having us to herself before she has to share the family with Masha too.
She was happier in church today, than she was last week. That was a good sign to me that things will just continue to look up as we keep plugging away.
We're happy to have her here, instead of dreaming of what it would be like to have her here. I'll work through whatever comes our way, it's better than being in limbo!
I'll have Drew post pictures later. I'm still having technical difficulties and he needs to help me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I am SO happy you are home and adjusting! I admire you so much, and think your girls are very lucky to have you for a mom.
I love the 305 and I'm glad you have one too. Keep running...
That's wonderful!! Tell Nastia that Brilynn, Amelie, & Parker say hello!! =)
She is learning fast! Love that she says "nuf" for everything. I think that will be my word of the day!
Drew and Jen - Glad that things are going well. Each day is a learning experience for you and her, eh? Thanks for the update. It's good to hear how things are going!
WOW...Jen you are amazing! Each day, you will see an improvement! I'm just so blessed to be able to read your stories and I know that Nastia is blessed to have you as her mommy!!!
Jen, I need some suggestions of techniques that your mother-in-law uses. Sasha doesn't know ONE BIT of Engish. I've been working ont he letters. He can now go up to G.
Can't wait to talk to you Monday.
Hope the kids' 1st day of school went well, and that you got Nastia's box from Will & Diana. There is a lunch bag in it for her if you didn't already have one. It's grey and silver. Hope she likes her things! =) xoxo
Post a Comment