Saturday, October 10, 2009

Repelling in Moab

Every year one of our neighbors from the old stake organizes a couples canyoneering trip. It has been going for 5 years now and we love to go whenever it is feasible. It is funny how it started. I would always get so frustrated when Drew would leave with the scouts repelling because I love to do it also! I told our friend he needed to organize a trip that the girls could come on as well...and so he did. And he has done it every year since. This year he had 30+ people on this trip.

I had to work Thursday night, so we got up at 3:45 Friday morning and drove to Moab and met the rest of the group by 8:30. We first did a canyon called Tear Drop. It is just past the entrance of Arches National Park. It was a short canyon...only took us a couple hours (with 30+) people. It would have been even faster if it was a small group. I liked this canyon a lot. If Drew and I ever get around to organizing our own little friend group, this would be a great one to start with.

After this canyon we went into Fiery Furnace, also in Arches. The names of the two canyons we did in there are Creel and Lowmation (spelling is approximate). These were a lot of boulder climbing, but with amazing views at the top.

As you can imagine, after not getting to sleep until midnight and getting up so early, just to go hiking all day, I was worn out by the time Friday ended! We had dinner with the whole group at The Brewery and I was one of the first to leave and melt into my pillow. I love sleep!!!!

We got up Saturday morning and went up into the mountains above Moab. I won't say the name of this one because people want to keep it a secret. It was probably the most beautiful and by far, my favorite, canyon I have ever done. That is saying a lot because Drew and I have done quite a few. It was really spectacular.

We were supposed to do another canyon that afternoon, but we weren't out from the first until 3:30 and we still had to drive home. So Drew and I took off and got back into town at about 8:30. It was a quick, but really needed, trip with just the two of us. Nikkie took Bryce, Jana took Tyler and some friends took Nastia and JR. Thank you, thank you, thank you! We sure appreciate you all so much!

Mary--we were trying to make it really evident how big the aspen is to her right. It didn't really turn out that well. But she has a cute smile...it's a keeper.
An arch just 50 yards from the last repel in the mountains.

Me helping belay at the bottom of the last repel on Saturday.

Drew doing the last repel on Saturday.

Picture of the last repel on Saturday. Beautiful, isn't it.

View from the top of the last repel.

Looking up after the second repel.

Looking down from the top of the second repel. You can see my shoe in the corner for some perspective.

Hang loose...this has become the group mascot.

Randy and Ned, a couple of the originals, posing for the camera.

View down the canyon on Saturday.

The first repel on Saturday.

Me in the canyon on Saturday, before I soaked my pants in the waterfall!

The hike to the canyon mouth on Saturday, fall colors were beginning.

Drew, with Jill behind him, hiking to the canyon mouth.

Top of Lowmation...wow...gorgeous!

Drew and I at the top of Lowmation.

A panoramic view from the top of Lowmation.

Drew during Lowmation again.

Me on the first repel in Creel.

Me again in the Creel slots.

Drew and Jen before we start boulder climbing in Creel.

Drew in Creel.

Drew again!
I know, I know, a lot of pictures, but I love these canyons. I love the pictures from these canyons. It amazes me how beautiful this earth is and that there are so many that are never able to witness the beauty I've seen. Hope you enjoyed the preview and let us know if you would like to come along some time!!!

5 comments:

Wendy said...

What a fun trip! I love to repel too and NEVER get invited on those scout trips!

Ali said...

Wow those are some great pictures! I am so jealous! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

Ali said...

Wow those are some great pictures! Looks like you guys had fun! I am so jealous!!! I can't wait till this summer so we can go do some stuff like that!

Nikkie said...

Beautiful pictures! What's up with the bloody hand? Did you bring it or find it there?

Lobos Family said...

Jen, that looks so fun. I could really use a vacation, too, even if it is only a two-day one!