Sunday, April 4, 2010

Pics of Day 9-10



Us walking to Babushka's on Saturday.

Getting a pic of Masha in her "cooking outfit." I also wanted a picture of Babushka's kitchen. No running water. Her plumbing system are the bowls lined up on the bench on the left. Her food cabinet is on the right where her macaroni, grains, flour, etc. are stored. Under the bench on the left she has buckets filled with potatoes, onions and beets. Nothing gets cleaned with soap here. You use a spoon, lick it and put it right back in the drawer. You use the same knife for cutting chicken as you do for cutting your vegetables. Fortunately, it was all cooked in the end, so I hope I'm okay... I have been paying for yesterday's meal a little bit today...

This is the grain that we put in the soup. It was really good but I don't know what it is. Does anyone else know? This isn't the greatest picture, but it was kind of pyramid shaped and brown. The brown outer shell boiled off while cooking and it opened up to what looked like an oat in the soup. Anyone have an idea?? I hope it is gluten-free because the soup was really good and I'm hoping to make it when I get home. Sorry honey...(he hates soup.)

Babushka's stove. What do you think???:) Up to the left of the picture are folded pieces of paper being held in a cup. These are her matches. When she needs to light a new burner she uses one of these, catches it on fire from another burner and lights the new burner. She then discards it in a tin can that you can barely see beside the garbage can on the right of the picture at the bottom. Quite the system, huh.

Cooking partners.

Babushka and Masha being silly.


Our soup. Do you see the grain? It had chicken, potato, carrot, onion, bullion and this grain. It was very good.

Babushka's plumbing system. This is how she stores the water she needs for the day.

Getting water from the neighbor's bathtub. This water will then be poured into her various tubs and glass bottles.

Me eating Borscht.

Masha and her cousin Shenia. He's 3.

Oxana and I making verineka stuffed with potato and some with cabbage. They were SO good.


Our hands covered in flour.

Poska, the Easter cake.

Our Easter dinner. Sasha, Shenia, Babushka, Tonya, me and Oxana.


Babushka, a little drunk, playing a guitar and singing. Happy Easter!

8 comments:

Andreas said...

Jen - great pictures!! Is that grain barley? Buckwheat? Sounds yummy. I LOVE soup so we'll taste Drew's left overs. :)

It's great that you are getting to spend time with these relatives, getting to know Masha's heritage. It will be interesting to talk to you when you get back and listen to your stories and insight on all of this. You all look so happy!

The Loves said...

We can't remember what the name of the grain is, but Arianna Rogers gave us each a small package of it just before we hosted this last October for something familiar for our kids to eat. It was really, really good!

Chandra said...

I love the pics....what an experience you are having, my friend! I think it is so interesting how other countries celebrate and eat differently! I want that recipe when I come to see you....of the soup!

Amy Rast said...

Cute pictures! Masha looks so happy. Your soup looks good my girls were drooling over it.

Nikkie said...

I'm waaaay behind on my blog reading, so I had a lot of catching up to do here. I certainly don't envy you your adventures. You have a purpose though and I think that makes all the difference. Enjoy your alone time while you have it and especially your time with Masha when there is nothing else to compete for your attention.

Lori said...

Wow, Jen. I'm so proud of you. You are not sitting around but getting out and having an adventure every day. What memories you are making. I want a cooking class with all the mothers of adopted Ukrainian children. We'll have it right there in your kitchen. (hee hee) And think how much you will appreciate your kitchen when you get home, running water, modern plumbing, soap, hot water. Any guesses on your arrival home? I'm glad you had a fun Easter.

Alan said...

The cereal you asked about is greshka, we know it as buckwheat. We have some here at home and I make if for breakfast once in awhile. Unlike oatmeal or cream of wheat, it takes about 1/2 to cook it.

Enjoyed your pictures...

Blessings to you!

-- Alan

Alan said...

Meant to say it takes about 1/2 hr. to cook.