Hmmm, July 7th, the last post?? Rylee at 3 weeks old. I have a lot to catch up on. But first, I have a few thoughts that I want to get out there.
I just finished reading this talk by Elder Maxwell. It is a devotional address he gave at BYU on Nov. 27, 1979. It is a really great one, all about patience. A couple quotes that particularly hit home are these:
"flat periods of life give us a blessed chance to reflect upon what is past as well as to be readied for some rather stirring climbs ahead. Instead of grumbling and murmuring, we should be consolidating and reflecting, which would not be possible if life were an uninterrupted sequence of fantastic scenery, confrontive events, and exhilarating conversation."
"Patience helps us to use, rather than to protest, these seeming flat periods of life, becoming filled with quiet wonder over the past and with anticipation for that which may lie ahead..."
"Living cannot be all crescendo; there must be some dynamic contrast."
This made me think of a couple things. We just had a great time enjoying my brother's family's company. He and his wife and two kids stayed with us for two weeks during the holidays. It was such a great opportunity to catch up on life. Yet, I wish that I had done a little more catching up. During these times it is so hard for me to just put everything aside and really enjoy the time. I hope my brother knows how much we love him and his family and it was great spending time with them. I hope, given the opportunity, we can grow even closer through the time and do our best to just enjoy being together. I am, by nature, a very impatient person. During these times that impatience shows and it is a goal of mine to take this weakness and make it a strength. Just like Elder Maxwell suggested, I am taking this time (after the holiday chaos) to assess the time and know it could have been better spent. It's a good thing we have a lifetime to learn lessons. Slowly, I am learning mine.
The other thing this talk made me think of is my physical condition I am dealing with right now. I have been struggling with swollen, painful joints for nearly six months now. It has been so hard for me to not be able to run. It has been hard, sometimes, to have patience with my body and just give it the time it needs to recoup. Elder Maxwell talks about having patience through our trials. This has definitely been a trial for me and his remarks were a very needed reminder that these trials will be for my good. I might not understand now, why these things are happening. But, I am hoping that sometime in the future I will understand. And for now, just have patience and faith in His plan. Things are already beginning to brighten for me. I just today took my new bike out for a ride. My knee struggled a little, but I can feel already that the riding is just what my legs need in order to recover. I called Drew after I got back and told him, "I think I am in love!" The bike was so smooth and it felt great on my legs. It felt wonderful to be outside again. I hope it keeps up. Anyway, enough of my babbling. I hope you all had a fabulous holiday season and that 2012 is good to you. If it ends up being one of your more difficult years, remember to have patience and do your best to see the silver lining. I know...easier said than done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've been a big blog slacker but just read your New Years message. So well written and something I needed to hear.
And biking is the best! I started running in 2011 and every time I feel like I've been beat up. My feet ache, my knees ache. I never feel that on my bike. Just wish I could ride it through the winter! (I hate spin classes and stationary bikes!)
Post a Comment