Saturday, June 18, 2016

Stratford-upon-Avon (Shakespeare), Cotwolds, and Oxford-J.R.

This is J.R. I'm back! This part of the trip is a lot harder to write about. I mean, we were in England, on a bus tour, and went to Shakespeare's fathers house. I don't know what to write about. (you can judge whether or not that was sarcastic) Anyways, I'll do my best. Our bus tour started in the morning. Each morning in London started in our cramped confinement my dad found somewhere on the internet. It consisted of one room and one bathroom. Every day walking out of that room was a joyous moment. Strangely, everyday walking into it felt just as good as walking out. We got rained on, we had to walk a lot, and we are family so.... Just having a place to crash was great. On this particular day we took a bus tour out to... to... well, I'm not sure where. We just drove... a lot. We ended up at Warwick castle. It was pretty cool. The best part being the launching of a trebuchet, the worst being almost getting lost and being stranded. As soon as we got to the castle we hurried to the trebuchet. It felt kind of anti-clamatic. They built this launch up for like 15 minutes about how it was the mightiest siege weapon and then they launch a projectile roughly smaller than a soccer ball. To give them credit the projectile was on fire but still... Sure it was still cool I can't deny that. Then after some castle exploration it was time to get back on the bus... except that we almost didn't. Our tour guide told us that we need to be right on time or they would leave. When it was time to go, I was trying to get my family to leave... So it's obviously not my fault... just saying. I ran to the vehicle with the stuff I was carrying and I realized they weren't behind me. They stopped at the souvenir shop. The bus is waiting, what the heck are they doing going to the souvenir shop. When I got to the bus the tour guide gave me the evil eye and then rushed off the bus to get my parents and hurry the up. As soon as we were on the move our tour guide ripped into us about timekeeping and basically hinting at our complete irresponsibility on the bus intercom. Yeah, my mom says we are never going on a bus tour again. After that we headed to Shakespeare's fathers house. When we finished there we headed out to the town streets to explore. Then we headed to Oxford. Some say they feel smart just walking on the campus. I didn't feel that way but it was cool to see the campus. After that we went home. 
Shakespeare's fathers house
Chilling in the gardens of the house up above
The guy on the far left is voicing shakespeare monologues. He was pretty good too. 
Exploring the town
A street performer 

A statue of a jester. You know... just in case you couldn't tell by looking at the pic.
The next pictures are random. I couldn't tell what they were. 



The roof on this house is called a thatched roof (I think) It is very flammable so they don't use it for roofs anymore. 




Buildings by or in the oxford campus. The one above is the library if my memory is correct. I think this part your looking at is just the reading room because you can't take any books outside the library. 


This building above is an auditorium. 
The building has an the symbol for Oxford. As you might know, there is a rivalry between Oxford and Cambridge. Oxford jokes that because their book is open in their symbol they always seek new knowledge. The Cambridge symbol has a closed book so they must think they know everything. 


No comments: