Sunday, February 22, 2009

Going to Ukraine!

There has been a lot of thought go into our decision. Last Thursday, I had lunch with many of the parents that are also adopting and it started an emotional battle in me as to what we should do. Nastia is available in June, but Masha will not be available for adoption until February 2010. This was a huge devastation because we thought they were both OK to come home to us right away. After lunch with the parents I was still thinking we couldn't afford to go twice to Ukraine to pick up the girls. Going to Ukraine requires both parents to be there for a month (Drew might be able to leave a week and a half early). You have to pay all of your living expenses and flights, of course, each time you go. We thought there was no way we could afford to travel two times. Not to mention leaving our other children behind twice. Then I got a letter from Nastia on Friday. Oh, the timing! I balled! It was a touching note that made my heart ache. She expressed her desire to be with us now. It was the miracle I needed to help me know we need to get her now. We can't wait until February and get both of them at the same time. It will break me if I have to wait that long to get both of them. We are hoping we might be able to bring Masha home in June as well, but we'll have to see how that goes. From what I understand the country is usually pretty strict about them waiting the twelve months before they are made available for international adoption. So yes! We are traveling to Ukraine in June to get Nastia. I am beyond excited. I have been begging Drew to allow me to share the news since yesterday. I think he has been trying to come to grips with the fact that we are really going for it, no matter the expense. He is the breadwinner of course and this would be his greatest concern. He wants to know that we can make it work financially. Me, I have given up on the finance part of it. We will be blessed, is all I can think and know without a doubt that this will work out just fine. So, here goes, we're on our way!

8 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh my goodness!! I am so excited. It will work out. I so want to hear more about this letter!! Call me!

Carlin said...

Ok, you totally made me cry!! I so wanted to talk to you about everything Thursday and never got to. I can't believe you are going and I'm so happy and excited for you!!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys this is wonderful. We leave Sunday to bring home our daughter Dasah who we hosted this summer. Keep in mind that you get a $12k tax credit for the adoption. So If you can bring one home now you'll get the credit in 2010 and can carry the rest into 2011. Check with your acct. on how that works! Good luck and God bless.

Ali said...

Thats so awesome!!! I am so excited for you guys!! And of course you will be blessed and everything will work its self out!

Chandra said...

OH MY!!!! SWEET! The letter was a complete answer to prayer! This is such great news. Please call me if you get a minute! I will try and call you too...hopefully we can chat for a minute!
love you guys!

Rebecca said...

Congratulations! What a big step and what a big journey! Wow!

Andreas said...

Jen, this is amazing story, spoken like a true mother. What a miracle to get that letter when you did. We're so happy things are working out.

DianaCotner said...

That is very exciting and good news! I hope the time passes quickly and all our prayers will be answered!