Monday, July 20, 2009

Not very fun...

I have been all over the last few weeks and I've just about reached the end of my rope! We got back to the United States on July 4th. Just in time to still see a few home fireworks going off. When we flew out of New York, there were fireworks going off all over the city. It was fun seeing these from the plane. It took me all week to get over the jet lag.

Then, after being home for 10 days we drove to my brothers wedding in Oregon. We drove all night on Wednesday night to get there. I can't complain, I slept most of the way. Drew did not. But, I have to admit, it wasn't the most restful sleep I've ever gotten.

Anyway, the wedding was Friday and it was beautiful. We all enjoyed the time we had together. I will post pictures of the wedding later. The pictures are on my brothers camera (on his honeymoon). I don't think I'll be seeing these pictures for a few weeks. :) We left the reception that night a little early because I had to be on a plane to Ukraine the next morning at 6:30. I was really tired already and had a little packing to double check.

I flew all day Saturday and into Sunday morning and arrived safely in Kiev. Since landing, I would have to say these past two days have been the most frustrating I have had. I was boarding a train to Dniprozerzinsk that night at 11:00, so I had all day long to kill in the city without much to do. I ended up sitting on park benches for several hours and I did attend the whole three hour block of a ward that met in Kiev. This was the highlight of my day. But afterwards was dropped at the train station and sat for four hours while I waited for my train to leave.

I was picked up this morning from the train station by George (Nadiya's husband) and they took me back to their house. They were very hospitable and let me take a shower at their home. Thank you!! I really needed it. Then I was driven to Babooshka's house to pick up Nastia. This happened after a little confusion about what my day would look like, but in the end we were told I would be to the orphanage by 5 pm and I would be met by Nadiya for dinner. Great I thought, I'll see you then! Babooshka came with us, which I'm not sure was part of Nadiya's plan. But, how do I tell her this? (Whoever reads this from Ukraine will keep this information to themselves please.) Well, it is 6:20 and I am still sitting here. That would be why I'm on the internet. I'm trying to calm myself through electronics. I am currently tuning out all of the Ukranian being spoken around me. I can't wait to have an apartment in Kiev where I can do what I want, when I want, and not have to depend on others for luggage carrying and plans (besides the adoption paperwork that still needs to be done).

I'm sure this isn't a poetic post and a little jumbled, but wanted everyone to know I am safe and Nastia is in my care now. We are going to be home in five days and that is what is keeping me happy at the moment. Take care. I'll post what pictures I have when I'm not sitting on a concrete step outside the orphanage. (It is now 6:30 and Babooshka just called Nadiya and chewed her out, I guess). I don't know for sure what was said...

Hmm...am I in trouble now?

8 comments:

Lobos Family said...

Hi Jen,

I can totally sympathize with you. It is so frustrating that they think that you don't deserve to know when plans change or when they are running late (or not coming at all...). I hope things go well for you!

Andreas said...

Jen - Thanks for the update. Glad you made it back safely. Those airplane rides are crazy long. We were hoping you'd post some info soon and are glad to have an update from you. Hang in there! We are so glad that you have Nastia. Does she love being with you, our of the orphanage?

Keep your chin up! We pray all goes well and you have a safe return.

Wendy said...

UGH!! I hate that "no control" feeling! Honestly, when you hosted Naydia she had a say on her day right?
Just keep your eye on prize, home in FIVE DAYS-you can do it!! Remind us again when your flight is coming in. Alex asked yesterday if we were going to see Nastia at the airport. I think he was hoping it would get him out of church like when we went to see Kaytia!
Hang in there! Your in our prayers!

Lori said...

Hang in there, Jen. You're almost done with Ukraine. I'm in a hurry. I'll talk to you more later, but I'm thinking of you.

Mysticnocturne said...

Wow how frustrating! Glad you have Nastia in your care now! How exciting!! =)

Carlin said...

The never knowing drove me totally insane over there, but 5 days, Wow! I hope that flies by. Glad to hear you made it safely.

Chandra said...

oh Jen...hang in there. It sounds very crazy...lots of communication crazy....do they have cells over there? I will pray for you and your safe return.

Anonymous said...

You are on the home stretch. Just think how nice it will be to be back home!! Those first few days of jet lag totally goofs your system up and nothing feels right and then to have all the confusion on top of that. Nastia is one lucky girl to be part of your family. .