Last night we endured a 17 hour train ride which began Thursday at 4 p.m. from Simferopol, Ukraine in the Crimea region and ended at 9:13 a.m. in Kiev. We went straight to the Notary to get the power of attorney documents finalized so that I (Drew) will not have to return to finalize the adoption once the 10 days is over. I was also supposed to sign a form at the U.S. Embassy. Unfortunately, the Embassy was closed as they are celebrating Independence day today or at least the free day off of work. After some discussion, we will be working it out in the states and Jen will bring the forms back with her.
It seems like a long time ago that we arrived here in Ukraine. A lot has happened in the last 3 weeks. We are definitely ready to return home however and see our boys and sleep in our beds.
With our court date happening sooner than expected, we were able to spend time with Oxana, who stayed with us as a translator last October when we hosted the girls. We rented a car for 4 days with a limit of 250 km per day or 1000 for the trip. We returned the car with 988 km driven. We visited as many sites as we possibly could. We enjoyed the beach, a quick scuba diving trip, a few churches, some castles, old government mansions, and lots of farmland and vineyards. Driving was not as bad as we read about or were told by the locals, but still more chaotic than in America. It was nice to have some freedom and not depend on others to get us around. Below are some pictures from Crimea.
It seems like a long time ago that we arrived here in Ukraine. A lot has happened in the last 3 weeks. We are definitely ready to return home however and see our boys and sleep in our beds.
With our court date happening sooner than expected, we were able to spend time with Oxana, who stayed with us as a translator last October when we hosted the girls. We rented a car for 4 days with a limit of 250 km per day or 1000 for the trip. We returned the car with 988 km driven. We visited as many sites as we possibly could. We enjoyed the beach, a quick scuba diving trip, a few churches, some castles, old government mansions, and lots of farmland and vineyards. Driving was not as bad as we read about or were told by the locals, but still more chaotic than in America. It was nice to have some freedom and not depend on others to get us around. Below are some pictures from Crimea.
A palace on the way back from Yalta.
This is a Tatar palace called Bakhchisaray near the Uspensky Monk monastery.
This is the monastery, built right into the rock.
Another palace on the way to Yalta, near Alushta.
Jen getting ready to scuba dive in the black sea.
And, another palace, between Alushta and Yalta.
And one more. I believe this was the Fortress of Duke Voronsov. I really should have been taking better notes.I am going to try and find all of the names of these palaces. I can't remember them now! I should have been writing them down as we went along. But, as you can see, we had a great time visiting beautiful Crimea with Oxana. Thank you so much!!! We'll be home soon! JR and I just counted the hours and we figured we will be landing in 24 hours. Yippee!

8 comments:
Wow! What a nice trip that has turned unto for you. We'll see you guys in a little less than 36 hours.
Jen
We are currently in the process of adopting from Ukraine too and we would like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind. Please email me when you have a chance. Thanks!
Carol
wainwrightadoption@yahoo.com
Jen,
I am so jealous that you are going home. But you have to come back...I'm sorry about that. We should be home in about a week. Yeah!!!
Congrats you guys....You should be home now....I took the kids and met Chris' family in Gatlinburg, TN! I'm just getting unpacked and checking what I've missed! I miss you guys! I'm sure you guys are glad to be home! please tell the boys hello from us...and Jen, thanks for the encouragement. I needed it!
Wow! Those places look beautiful! How fun that you got out of Dnipro and saw some of the pretty parts!
I'm so glad you're home!
Great pics! Looks like you had some fun during your stay but a glad the time is winding down. A break during the 10-days will be nice for you. We're glad things are going well!
So you proved everyone wrong and got around just fine in your rented car. Way to go. You're home now. I need to call you and chat.
How exciting!! What a trip!! I'm so glad that things are working out for you! I have a box for Nastia of clothing toys and shoes that I will send parcel post to your home on payday the 15th. Hope she likes it! =) We love and miss you guys!! xoxoxo
Post a Comment