Missionaries always bring a smile to my face. But, they especially make me happy when I run into them in unfamiliar surroundings. There is an instant bond between those that share the same religion and today was no different!
We drove past LDS missionaries sitting on the side of the road. I couldn't resist having Drew turn around to see if they needed a ride. We decided to pretend we were all Ukrainian with no smiles and gruff voices. Oxana from the back seat asked if they needed a ride and talked for a minute in Russian. They had no idea we were Americans in the front seat. I was having a really hard time keeping a straight face! If anyone knows me well, they'll know I don't lie well! Anyway, after Oxana tortured them enough I said, "Hi Elders!" and the greenies' jaw just about hit the ground. It was so funny! He was hearing English and hearing someone call him Elder! Both of them were completely dazed for a few seconds and didn't know what to say.
We asked them again if they wanted a ride. At first they refused. After we told them we were from Utah and that we were members with a non-member in the back seat they decided it was technically okay to receive rides from members. So they jumped in the back and we gave them a ride to a nearby village where they had their next round of work. It was a real bright spot in the day. And we laughed all day long about the first response of the missionary to my greeting.
We went to Sudak today. It was a beautiful city. Lots of fun adventures! But the best part of the day was those missionaries!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
That was so nice of you do give them a ride but teasing them first? I'm sure they loved hearing a familiar language, seeing the smiles and the ride!
Jen, did you ever get scrapebook software?
Jen & Drew: Where have I been? Congrats on your two new beauties. You are traveling and adventuring across the world. Can't wait to read updates on your travels.
That is so funny. We ran into two elders Friday night in Kiev, and I know what you mean about the instant bond. We were in that same restaurant (you know the one Michael loved) with Alex and Allie, and an elder walked by. Michael said, "Hi, Elder." His jaw dropped open. They were there eating dinner with an investigator. It was so fun to see them and visit with them.
I yelled across the food court in the mall in Kiev "Hello Elders!" the look bewildered and then I asked if they speak English and they said yes so I said then you better come over here! They both are getting home this month and live in SL County and I have their phone numbers as they said they'd be happy to translate the discussions for Alex.
I just wanted to jump up and hug them as it was going on six weeks since I'd been home! It was just little slice of home!
I am so glad you guys are getting to see the beautiful parts of Ukraine. We are getting really close to being able to go home - I can hardly stand it!
I can just imagine the face they made! haha.
Not sure how else to get to ya...We are prego! Just thought you might like to know! Didnt want ya to feel out of the loop! Have a safe trip home!
Post a Comment