We made it to church fine on Sunday and I loved seeing all of the cute missionaries. It feels like home to me to be around them. I didn't want to leave. We attended church in Dnipropotrosk, the city center branch. It ended up being the same branch as we attended last year, but we didn't pay $50 for the ride!! :) Just so future families know, that is about what it will be for the ride there. It is about a 45 minute drive from Dniprodzersinsk.
There was one missionary in particular that was just so cute and sweet. He didn't want to stop talking. He was adopted from Russia when he was 7 years old and his sister when she was 9. We were the first adoptive family that he had met personally and kept saying how he loved us already just because of what we were there doing. He gave me his mother's phone number for back home, so that I could call and get moral support from her. Someone that has adopted and raised an adoptive child for 10 years. I think I will call her and just tell her what a fantastic job she has done in raising her child. In fact, maybe I ought to send the phone number to one of you on email and have you give her the blog address for us. I will post pictures of us with her son next Sunday. You see, I was so excited about talking and getting phone numbers and addresses that I forgot to take pictures! I was so mad at myself. I love those missionaries. They all had such bright, happy smiles on their faces. It really warmed my heart to be near them.
Afterwards, Masha was so shy and just wanted to get out of there. I made her stay longer than she wanted because I was enjoying myself so much. Victor also attended Sacrament meeting with us and he had had enough of his "cultural experience." So we left and drove/walked around Dnipropotrosk. We ended up on their cat walk on the Dnipro river, they call it a "key." It was really pretty. There was a carnival there as well on an island in the river. You walk across a bridge to it. We rode the ferris wheel there and saw the top of the Dnipropotrosk. On the bridge that you cross, people put locks with their names ingraved in them on the bridge. I'll post a picture. There was one lock that was bigger than my head and whoever got it up where it was hung could have killed themselves!
We headed back home after walking for a little while. We brought Masha back to the apartment and Skyped with our kids. Masha and Anastasia were able to see each other for the first time in 8 months! Mostly, they just sat there and smiled at each other. Anastasia couldn't speak any Ukrainian to her and Masha couldn't speak a lot of English either. So it was funny, Victor had to translate so that Masha could understand what Anastasia was saying. It was fun to see them see each other again. We invited Babushka to talk to Anastasia, but she didn't want to leave her house. I thought it strange because she had said she was so sad about her being gone. I would have thought she would have loved to spend an hour and visit with Anastasia.... Oh well, her choice! She had the chance! We also invited her to church with us. She chose not to do that either. I believe the people in these villages are home bodies and don't leave too far from home ever.
Monday morning we got up, ate breakfast, did a load of laundry, showered and got on our way to Odesa by about 10:30 in the morning. Now, you would think that 600 km, around 370 miles would only take you about 4 hours right??? No! Hardly! It took us 11 hours to get to Odesa by car yesterday! We were stopped one more time by a cop and got a flat tire. Drew was really asking for a lot for his birthday when he asked that I just sit back and relax and let him drive around Ukraine! I am having a very hard time keeping my mouth shut about anything that has to do with driving now. Drew keeps telling me to stop nagging him, but I'm sorry I think I have every right at this point!!! :) But, this isn't the end. We now have to get back to Dnipro and Drew will have to get back to Kiev, hopefully without incident. Please pray! I will be!!!
So we are currently in our apartment, safe in Odesa. I'll see if I have the energy and mind power to get on and post the pictures tonight. I have been getting awful headaches every day, that are so bad in the evenings. Even thinking about staring at a computer screen makes my head hurt worse. We'll see how I am. Besides that, I am so tired every night I can hardly keep my eyes open. I think that we are still adjusting to the time change a little.
Thanks to all following the blog! I have some great information for those of you following us this year. We have current numbers for the missionaries, addresses, advice, etc. that we will pass on when we get back. We love your support and encouragement. It helps us to feel a little closer to home when we hear from you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Whoowhoo! I beat Andreas!
Great post. I know what you mean about being with the missionaries. It's like a little piece of home.
I'm so sorry about your headaches and so happy you got to get out of Zerstink! (Get it?)
Yeah, you would have thought the dramatic, wailing babushka would have jumped at the chance to see her granddaughter. Oh well.
Great post! Enjoy your time in Odessa. You deserve a little break. What a long drive to get there. Kids are doing great. They pray for you every night. Have fun. Love, mom
What? A post with no pictures?! :)
Sounds like things are going well. Are the cops able to radio each other and pick Drew out, thinking he will just pay them off?! That is odd. And NO nagging to hubby drivers allowed!
Isn't it nice to have missionaries to help keep you from going crazy? If you want me to send the blog info to them, let me know.
Please tell Masha that we are excited to see her. How is she personality wise now that you've gotten to spend some time with her? Is the still the shy little girl?
As far as headaches go, they have have those little pharmacies all over. We got some stuff from the pharmacist to help with aches and pains. I made sure the translator told us what it was so we weren't taking morphine or something like that, but it was a pain reliever that they use there that is not used in America. Can't remember what it is, but it worked pretty well, and we didn't get high. Just a thought.
You mentioned things were going quickly for you. Any guestimate on your ETA?
Oh, no!!!! Another cop and another flat tire? I agree. Going to church and talking to the missionaries is good therapy. Do you think you're half way through now? Keep posting. We'll be reading.
I will contact that missionary mother if you want me to. Our son is a missionary there but is way on the western part of Ukraine and so you probably won't see him. Keep posting we are hanging on every word :)
Post a Comment