Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Pics of Odessa

The Opera House. It was an amazing building. The web said it is the second most beautiful Opera House in Europe after the Vienna Opera House. It really was gorgeous and I have a lot of pictures of the inside below.

For Wendy...Constantine's bedroom



The back window, the roads were so dirty!!


The "freeway" leaving Odessa.


The Opera House lit up.


The next many pictrues are of the inside of the Opera House. After intermission Victor as able to get us up into a balcony seat. Way to go Victor!




































You always hear about their sanitoriums that the kids go to to get fresh air. Well here a sanitorium and it's clean air and splendor!


Putting me feet in the Black Sea. The water was ice cold!




A beach in Odessa and the bay.







A random cannon down the street and stairs from the Opera House.


A panaoramic view of Greek Square.


This is a group of men playing dominos and chess in one of the main squares of Odessa. There was one man there that would not stop staring at me because I was the only girl near them and how dare I get too close! I just waved at him every time he ould look at me and he would pretend he didn't see me and turn around the other direction pretending to see what I was waving at. It was funny. I just can't help myself to wave when they so blatently stare!



A church.


An old run down building that they were trying to repair at the top in the middles. It looked like it had been burnt down a little. So much of Ukraine looks like it came directly out of WWII to me. The buildings look lilke what you would see in movies and read in books about being worn and old looking like during the war.



I have included a lot of pictures that just show the architecture and style of the buildings. Many of them show the detail that you would commonly see on many of the buildings in the city.


Top view odf the buildings you will see from the rooftops in a few pictues. You can see the bridge that were on at the other end where the roof top pictures were taken from.

A pack of dogs sitting across the street from the Opera House. I think I counted 12 in this picture!


Pictures near the bay. These were taken from the port that the hotel sat on.

An anchor exhibit!!!!

Victor with his million dollar yacht.
A sculpture of a boy and his mother saying goodbye to their father and husband, a sailor.

Interesting...



"The Stairs," as they're called in Odessa.



You see the port in the background with the hotel.

A view from the top of the stairs.

The ground level of this building is a famous restaurant. We didn't eat...I don't want to know the prices for food at a "famous restaurant."

A beautiful walkway along the seaside.




Look at these rooftops!!




The first runner I've seen in Ukraine! I had to take a picture.

Pretty cool stairs.









This is what the kids have to play on in this city! What a playground!


The bay.


An American flag. Horray!

This building, we're thinking was at least 100 years old. Look at the detail in the three pictures.

The ceiling.

Front door.

The first coat I was that wasn't black or brown.



1 comment:

Wendy said...

WOW!!! That was a TON or pictures! Odessa looks lovely! Much nicer than Zerstink! Fun, fun. That opera house was stunning! Did you understand the story at all?
Thank you for posting the bedroom remodel-it looks SO much nicer. Tell Constantine I give it two thumbs up!