Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Kiev

We are in Kiev safely. It was a little bit of an adventure getting here, but at least we're safe now! The flights all took off and landed on time. We left Salt Lake at about 3:30 yesterday afternoon. We went to Detroit, then a quick one hour layover in Amsterdam then on to Kiev.

In the Kiev airport, after clearing customs, we only found one of our three checked suitcases. Bummer!! We filled out all the paperwork needed to have them deliver the missing luggage tomorrow and left to find our rental car.

The rental car representative was ready and waiting for us and we left the airport on our own, in our own car. I will spare the details of us finding the apartment. We'll just say we took a couple wrong turns and after a few heated discussions we finally found our apartment. The manager let us in and we are now sitting safe inside our $110/night apartment that they gave us for $50 a night. This was the price we paid for our reservation of another apartment. Apparently, they gave that one away and gave us this one that is nicer for the same price! Perfect.

Drew is out getting food for us right now and I'm waiting for an email from Adoption Way to find out what time our appointment is tomorrow. We don't have Irina's number and are waiting to hear from them now.

I still want to update about the last couple of months. I will do that once I get all of the Kiev stuff worked out. Check back in soon and we'll let you know what's going on.

Loves to my kids! I miss you already!

8 comments:

Wendy said...

I've been watching your sight like a hawk-clicking on it just in case my reader wasn't updating!
I'm so glad you're there safe and I am so very impressed that you found your apartment on your own-heated argument or not. I think James and I would still be driving in circles!

Unknown said...

Take care Jen! I am so happy that your family is doing well and you can bring home another sister.

grandma said...

hello mom,Iam glad you made it.To bad about your laggeg. grandma told me about the blog just before I started. from J.R.

Kristin said...

I'm so glad you're there safely and really, just that you're finally there to bring home your other daughter!!!

We are so happy for you and wish you a smooth journey.

PS I am running the IL Marathon on May 1st.
PPS In your spare time (yes, I know LOL) you ought to join dailymile to track your running. It is a great place to be, and I would love to be your friend there.

Lori said...

Oh, wow! I kept checking the Save a Child blog, and it wasn't showing you as updating. I decided to click on your blog anyway, and there your post was from Kiev!!! Sorry about the luggage. Been there, done that. Remember? I keep wondering about Masha. I'll bet she has butterflies in her stomach awaiting your arrival. Wish I could be there to watch the reunion.

Andreas said...

Glad you made it safely there! We'll be watching your blog everyday now that you posted the first. How does it feel to be back? Deja Vu? :)

Good luck at the SDA appt!!

The Loves said...

We are so glad you made it. Sounds like you're old pros traveling around and finding your own apartment! We have checked your blog a couple of times a day...we are so happy for you and we can just imagine how very excited Masha is. She is a very lucky girl!

Amy Rast said...

It wouldn't be a trip to Kiev if you got all of your luggage :) Renting a car, getting to your own apartment. I'm impressed. You are the real pros.