Drew and I at TGI Fridays. The only other American restaurant in Kiev besides McDonalds. It is Drew's birthday on Saturday and he wanted his birthday dinner here before we went to Dnipro where he can't get a good steak. Happy Birthday honey!
I am wearing a hat that I bought from a cute little man at one of the SDA shops. His wife crocheted this cap and I got it for about $4! That reminds me, my sweet neighbor taught me how to knit before I left so that I would have something to do during my down time while here. I am over half way done with a scarf for Irina now! I am so proud! I am getting better and faster at it all the time.
We had our SDA appointment yesterday! We met with the same Maria that we met with last year. It was at 11:00. We met Irina and our translator Victor at about 10:30. We did a little browsing at the shops outside the SDA before we went in to meet with them. We found a few more items to bring home to the family! Whoever brought that really nice plate home from Ukraine...(the one that was brought to our Ukraine Christmas in January)...I want to know where you got it from. I couldn't find any at these shops...is that where you found it???
Well, the SDA appointment went really well. Maria was very sweet and happy. Just like last year she just smiled the whole time. Right when we started, Drew asked if she remembered us. She said no. Then Drew tells her, "Well, we remember you!" She blushed and laughed and said that he did look a little familiar to her. I guess I don't have a face easy to remember. She did remember that we had been there the previous year to get one sister, Anastasia. She asked how Anastasia was doing. We told her she was doing really well here and I showed her one of the pictures I had printed and brought with us. It was a picture of all of us in Zions National Park together. She liked it and asked if she could see all of the pictures. I was surprised because we had a lot of pictures, but, yea, sure, why not! So the whole time we had with her was spent looking at the very large pile of pictures I had printed for the girls' grandma. It was nice! She didn't ask us any questions, just looked at pictures and smiled the whole time. She liked the pictures of Bryce and commented that he was always smiling and so cute. I had to agree, it made me miss him again!
She asked if she could keep a copy of the picture I had originally shown her. That was fine with me and I guess she will put it in her file somewhere. It was funny because the subject of having of having so many kids and grandkids came up again. She saw a picture of three of the kids with my parents and asked how they were able to keep up with so many grandchildren. We told her these grandkids were of few of many and that the grandkids keep them running but that they enjoy it! She just rolled her eyes and said, " I couldn't do it! I wouldn't have the energy to keep up with that many children!" I believe the difference, is in this country, the grandparents play a much bigger role in children's lives than in the United States. We didn't go in to that, but just said that both of our parents do just fine having so many grandchildren and that they love being surrounded with so much family. She was amazed that Drew's parents have 20 grandchildren. We sure love our parents and are very happy that they want to be a part of our kids lives. The grandkids love them so much and want to be with them. Thanks moms and dads, grandmas and grandpas, for being there with our family!!!!!
That was pretty much it. Once she got through the pictures she said that if we didn't have any questions we could go and come back to get the referral letter. Irina had told us before the appointment that our job in there was to beg that they get us the paperwork that day. So now was the time. We asked if there was anyway that they could get it to us that day and she said she would do her best and to check back with them at 3 to see if it would be ready or not. They did get it ready for us to pick up the same day. So now we're sitting in our apartment waiting for the rest of the city to wake up then we'll be on our way to Dnipro in our car!
While we waited for the paperwork to get done, we went to lunch at our favorite little restaurant just off of the square. The Lawrences know which one it is, as do most of the rest of you if you went there with Irina to get authentic Ukrainian food. I got a couple salads with cabbage and carrots and Borsche. Yum! It was good! We were with Victor the whole time. Afterwards we went to the Monk monestary, which we missed last time. It was interesting...those guys were tiny! I couldn't believe how small the coffins were. The tunnels were narrow and short. We had to buy these skinny, tall, candles to hold in the tunnels because there wasn't any other light.
And of course, the women had to cover their heads. I, fortunately, had my scarf and was able to use that to cover up. I'm sure that you parents coming within the next few months will hit this same tourist site. It seems to be a popular one! We didn't see it last time we were here though. We saw everything else and didn't have time for it last year.
After the "dead monk" place, as Wendy called it last year...we went back to the apartment to change back in to nicer clothes to pick up the paperwork that Victor said they did have ready for us. We got to the SDA at about 4:15 and were the third couple to get in to sign for our letter. When we got into the room she said the Benson paperwork??? We don't have Benson paperwork. She asked Victor when our appointment was, which he apparently avoided the question and said that Maria had told her the paperwork was ready. She dismissed us until he found out where the paperwork was. 3 or 4 more couples went in and got their paperwork, while we sat and waited. Finally, at about 5:15 they came downstairs with it and we were just able to initial for it and be on our way. Yea whoo!! We're off!
We are meeting Victor at 9:00 this morning and driving to Dnipro in the daylight. The driving thing is a funny story if you want to hear it. To be short, I'll just say that every single person with Adoption Way has tried to talk Drew out of it and he just hasn't given in. Victor drove around Kiev with us yesterday and apparently felt that Drew was a safe enough driver that he agreed he would go with us today. So we will make it with Irina providing a good map and Victor as an interpretor, we will be fine. I have to say, though, that if I was coming here for the first time I wouldn't want to be in a car of our own. We are the first family to ever do this, and everyone is really nervous for us. They are making Drew sign a waver that says he understands if we die driving ourselves, they won't be held responsible...:). That was fine! So I guess, pray that we arrive safely and put all of their minds at ease! :) Irina just laughed at Drew's ambition and love for driving. She was really pleasant about it.
Drew needs the computer now. When he's done I'll post some pictures and update a few more events from the last couple of months.
Well, the SDA appointment went really well. Maria was very sweet and happy. Just like last year she just smiled the whole time. Right when we started, Drew asked if she remembered us. She said no. Then Drew tells her, "Well, we remember you!" She blushed and laughed and said that he did look a little familiar to her. I guess I don't have a face easy to remember. She did remember that we had been there the previous year to get one sister, Anastasia. She asked how Anastasia was doing. We told her she was doing really well here and I showed her one of the pictures I had printed and brought with us. It was a picture of all of us in Zions National Park together. She liked it and asked if she could see all of the pictures. I was surprised because we had a lot of pictures, but, yea, sure, why not! So the whole time we had with her was spent looking at the very large pile of pictures I had printed for the girls' grandma. It was nice! She didn't ask us any questions, just looked at pictures and smiled the whole time. She liked the pictures of Bryce and commented that he was always smiling and so cute. I had to agree, it made me miss him again!
She asked if she could keep a copy of the picture I had originally shown her. That was fine with me and I guess she will put it in her file somewhere. It was funny because the subject of having of having so many kids and grandkids came up again. She saw a picture of three of the kids with my parents and asked how they were able to keep up with so many grandchildren. We told her these grandkids were of few of many and that the grandkids keep them running but that they enjoy it! She just rolled her eyes and said, " I couldn't do it! I wouldn't have the energy to keep up with that many children!" I believe the difference, is in this country, the grandparents play a much bigger role in children's lives than in the United States. We didn't go in to that, but just said that both of our parents do just fine having so many grandchildren and that they love being surrounded with so much family. She was amazed that Drew's parents have 20 grandchildren. We sure love our parents and are very happy that they want to be a part of our kids lives. The grandkids love them so much and want to be with them. Thanks moms and dads, grandmas and grandpas, for being there with our family!!!!!
That was pretty much it. Once she got through the pictures she said that if we didn't have any questions we could go and come back to get the referral letter. Irina had told us before the appointment that our job in there was to beg that they get us the paperwork that day. So now was the time. We asked if there was anyway that they could get it to us that day and she said she would do her best and to check back with them at 3 to see if it would be ready or not. They did get it ready for us to pick up the same day. So now we're sitting in our apartment waiting for the rest of the city to wake up then we'll be on our way to Dnipro in our car!
While we waited for the paperwork to get done, we went to lunch at our favorite little restaurant just off of the square. The Lawrences know which one it is, as do most of the rest of you if you went there with Irina to get authentic Ukrainian food. I got a couple salads with cabbage and carrots and Borsche. Yum! It was good! We were with Victor the whole time. Afterwards we went to the Monk monestary, which we missed last time. It was interesting...those guys were tiny! I couldn't believe how small the coffins were. The tunnels were narrow and short. We had to buy these skinny, tall, candles to hold in the tunnels because there wasn't any other light.
And of course, the women had to cover their heads. I, fortunately, had my scarf and was able to use that to cover up. I'm sure that you parents coming within the next few months will hit this same tourist site. It seems to be a popular one! We didn't see it last time we were here though. We saw everything else and didn't have time for it last year.
After the "dead monk" place, as Wendy called it last year...we went back to the apartment to change back in to nicer clothes to pick up the paperwork that Victor said they did have ready for us. We got to the SDA at about 4:15 and were the third couple to get in to sign for our letter. When we got into the room she said the Benson paperwork??? We don't have Benson paperwork. She asked Victor when our appointment was, which he apparently avoided the question and said that Maria had told her the paperwork was ready. She dismissed us until he found out where the paperwork was. 3 or 4 more couples went in and got their paperwork, while we sat and waited. Finally, at about 5:15 they came downstairs with it and we were just able to initial for it and be on our way. Yea whoo!! We're off!
We are meeting Victor at 9:00 this morning and driving to Dnipro in the daylight. The driving thing is a funny story if you want to hear it. To be short, I'll just say that every single person with Adoption Way has tried to talk Drew out of it and he just hasn't given in. Victor drove around Kiev with us yesterday and apparently felt that Drew was a safe enough driver that he agreed he would go with us today. So we will make it with Irina providing a good map and Victor as an interpretor, we will be fine. I have to say, though, that if I was coming here for the first time I wouldn't want to be in a car of our own. We are the first family to ever do this, and everyone is really nervous for us. They are making Drew sign a waver that says he understands if we die driving ourselves, they won't be held responsible...:). That was fine! So I guess, pray that we arrive safely and put all of their minds at ease! :) Irina just laughed at Drew's ambition and love for driving. She was really pleasant about it.
Drew needs the computer now. When he's done I'll post some pictures and update a few more events from the last couple of months.
8 comments:
Jen - love the hat! It's not black?!! lol.
Glad you made it safe. I had to laugh about the driving thing. Drew probably remembers the last experience and does not care to have his life pass before his eyes ever again.
My wife was the one with the plate. We got it at one of those little shops outside of the SDA. Just make sure you talk them down a few bucks.
Oh Jen! Your post just bring it all back! (I forgot I called the monastery the dead monk place-I guess I could have used a little more respect about that-but in truth-that's what it is!!)
Victor is great! He translated for our court and his girlfriend Hanna was our interpreter for the first half. Say hi to him for us! He knows Dnipro too-I don't know if he ever drove there-Hanna did with us-but I think you're in very capable hands!
I wish I had sent money for you to bring me home more toothpick girls. I didn't even think about that!
Wow. You are probably on that scenic drive right now. I am so impressed at your courage to drive those pothole filled roads with the other crazy drivers. It's not Drew's ability I would be worried about. At least when you drive your own car, you can dig out the seat belts and use them without offending anyone!
Please post lot's! I check you all day long!
AND you have been busy posting!! I just got caught up. Great pictures. (I especially love the torture one!)
I figured out why you're not coming up at the top of my reader and apparently it goes with whatever date you last posted so although you currently posted about the SDA, reader makes it looks like your last post was March 11th-pack meet day. If people aren't clicking on your sight directly or scrolling down and just looking for you to be at the top of reader-they're missing you. Just thought you'd like to know and to let others know as well!
Sorry, I'll try not to be so wordy every day!
Okay-sorry-I'm really not trying to be the biggest stalker ever-but it's not READER it's my side bar that drops you down. Reader shows how many hours ago you posted and does show what you posted last be it past or present but the sidebar thing (hat we have on our blogs) drops you down below other posts based on the last post you published.
You probably don't even care about this but it's been a mystery to me why I'm missing some posts and I think I've finally Nancy Drewed it!
K. I promise not to comment on this post again!
Wishing you safe driving! :)
Thanks for the updates. We really are so thrilled for you guys. And I admire so much what you are doing.
How fun was it seeing dead monks.I would have been freaked out.anyway I am glad your having fun. from, J.R.
Oh, I love reading your blog. I'm glad you got to Dnipro safely. What an adventure you're having. I was sort of surprised to see snow in the pictures. I guess I expected it to be spring there like we're enjoying. Keep posting. I love it.
Post a Comment