Friday, April 2, 2010

Pics from Thursday & Friday #7-8

Masha with her friends Nastia, Natasha and Kristina. Snezana on the side.



Friends: Wholasara, Elena, Natasha, and Oxana.


Natasha and Masha


Nastia and Masha


Lunch


Natasha, Kristian, Nastia, Masha, Natasha and Snezana.


Masha outside the building that leads to the cafeteria. They just painted all of the sidewalk borders as part of their spring clean up.


Main foyer at the hospital.


An assessment room.


The crocheted breast.






The door to this assessment room. All rooms are under lock and key.


A doctor's office.


The other half.


A hallway in the hospital.


The outside of the hospital building.




Entrance to the maternity ward. It is locked down, just like ours at home.


Midwife's office.





Their discharge room.


Hallway on the ward.


NBICU. I was shocked that they let me in here. I realized quickly that nothing like HIPAA (the privacy act) exists in Ukraine.




An IV and feeding tube.


The mother's waiting room.


A new mother and her newborn. These two pictures are of the maternity rooms. It was so warm in this room. They believe in bundling up their kids here, big time!


The mother's eating room.



Outside the doctor's offices and main entrance.





My lunch after the hospital visit. It was a crepe with sweet, chuncky, cream cheese like filling with raisins. I was hoping for a salty cabbage filling. I am still trying to find a bread like roll with a cabbage filling. Maybe one of the other families from Dnipro remembers where you could find something like that?


The main street where I found the keyboard.


You walk ahead and the orphanage is up this road and a hill about 10 minutes walk. The Potato House is just about 2 minutes up this street. Billa, a big grocery store is across the street and back 2-3 minutes from here.


A typical bus for transportation. They are 1.50 gryvna.



This main street is a two part street with a walkway going up the middle of it for pedestrians. It is filled with cafes, bars and shops.


A park in the center as well. Just 5-10 minutes from the orphange now.


The street to the left is the street that leads to the swimming pool. It is just past the park, on your way back to the orphanage.


The orphanage street. Just look for the red MTC phone booth. That was how I remembered which street to turn down.


The orphanage is about 200 yards down this road on the left.


The orphanage main entrance.

Just for clarification because I didn't make a lot of sense when I typed this last time...

This orphanage is the one that Ruslan, Bogdan, Vova and Vladik. The other children being adopted from Dnipro are at the orphanage across the river from here. I have only been there once when I took the picture of Alina for the Hinkson's. The families that adopt from that orphanage will not stay in Constantine's apartment. It is too far. Oxana said she will find an apartment that is walking distance from the other orphanage.

3 comments:

Andreas said...

These are great pictures. Reading and seeing the pictures lets us really feel what you are. And all of those kids at the orphanage...it's sad that they all have to be there. These pictures are going to be so memorable for Masha when she gets here and had days when she misses them.

Wendy said...

Okay! I think I can talk you to a cabbage roll place. When you walk straight down from the orphanage-not on the "State" street but winding through the blocks-about two blocks BEFORE you get to the park and the big grocery store across from it on the east side of the street-if you think of the main street like our State street-there is a little place that sells what looks like scones. They have cabbage filled scones and really yummy hot dog scones-and I hate hot dogs. I think I might have a picture-I'll see if I can find it. Masha might know-Alex and Julia knew the place well.
Hum....after re-reading this I've decided that I am no help at all. Ask Masha!
I CAN however tell you where you can get them here in MURRAY! In fact, just thinking about them makes me hungry for one-although I prefer the one's filled with potatoes!
Great pictures. Really interesting hospital pictures. Yeah, no HIPPA there.

Shari said...

We adopted our daughter from this town in 2008, but from the baby house. I'm not sure where it is in relation to the other two orphanages. It was fun to see the hospital, my daughter spent the first few months of her life there, due to being born with a cleft lip and palate, before being transferred to the orphanage. I wish we would have toured more places, but being alone in town we kept to what was familiar. There is an awesome cafe on I believe Lennin street in the middle of town. It has a bright blue awning is just down the streen from the potato house. They have an english menu (if you know to ask) and the most delicious chicken dishes I have ever had.
Have a great journey, thanks for sharing the great pictures.