I have been trying to upload pictures for several hours now and feeling like I am completely wasting my time! I want to record what we're up to for myself and others but am really struggling with the programs not working like I need them to. I finally gave up and decided to take a walk instead when this prompting came to me. It seems that I'm not blogging the most important things right now. I was trying to upload pictures of our Sri Lanka trip and it was not working. The thought came to me that I needed to share some insights about experiences I've had, not reporting on our trip.
It's been so wonderful to get outside again and move my body! In the two walks I've taken I have been approached by two Emirate people. The first time I was walking home with Lily in my arms. She was a little fussy, so I thought a walk would help calm her. I had an Emirate woman approach me with her vehicle and ask if she could give me a ride. I told her no, thank you, I was just 50 yards from home. She was extremely hesitant about driving away without giving me a ride. She said, "But, the baby!" I replied with a reassuring remark that we were ok and almost home. She drove away.
On my walk today, I had an Emirate man carefully drive past us with the happiest "cooing" face I've ever seen. He was making faces at Lily hoping to catch a smile from her. He drove off and I was left contemplating this man. As I hear more and more about how worried people are that we live in the middle east, this Emirate man puts my heart at ease. As does the woman that stopped to try and give me a ride. I was not approached by white people. I was approached by middle-eastern people that cared deeply about my child. They serve as a strong reminder that the percentage of middle-eastern people causing terror in the world, is extremely low. Yes, the terrorists exist, but not to the degree that the media would like us to believe. I am thankful to be in this country where people love their families and are good. I felt I needed to share this little piece of happiness.
These are some thoughts I typed up a couple weeks ago:
We’re in survival mode. I take one day at a time and decide if I have the energy/motivation to tackle anything besides staying home. We have done some fun things with the kids and are learning a lot about a very different culture and people. I believe that we’ll have more time for that type of learning when they start homeschooling. There are quite a few families that homeschool and we would have a vast cultural network to do things with! There are a lot of kayaking/exploring opportunities here. We’ll do a lot of those types of things as well. With the homeschooling, we’ll study cultures and then be able to take the kids to those places and bring the learning alive. It all sounds so exciting, so hopefully I can pull it off!
Just yesterday, I was so tired and fell asleep after starting a movie for Rylee. I slept with Lily at my side for an hour and a half! It was a nice little time with the baby! I am trying to enjoy it but wish I knew with my first baby what I know now. Having 7 kids means I have to divide my time between all of them, it doesn’t leave as much time to just snuggle as I’d like!!! With the first baby, I wish I had done more of it. I am intentionally holding and rocking Lily more than I did with any of my other babies. Knowing this is the last baby is helping me to take a little more time.
As for my emotions of living in a new country, as you can imagine, it has been difficult. Adventure is what most people call this but for me, it’s a completely new way of living a life I’ve always known. Everything is a new decision I’m not used to making. All the way down to what brand of toilet paper to buy. Where do I buy the items I need to feed my family? I’m slowly learning these things but it has been a major adjustment. I’m told that if I hold on tight and get through the first 6 months, I will love it from then on out. It has been so much change, maybe that’s why I’m most anxious about the homeschooling prospect. It’s just one more MAJOR change to add to the mix! I feel I’m dealing with a little postpartum depression but getting through it well enough because of an amazing ward family. The families here are incredible. We’re all in the same boat, so each person really steps up and carries one another. I love that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are so amazing to take on this adventure with your cute family. I love that you guys just jump into life and new experiences! Your kids will grow so much from this and I agree, take your time with that sweet little baby. There will be plenty of time for everything else, but naps with those little ones are so precious! Thanks for blogging it's great to see what you are up to. We are moving to Texas at the end of the month and my teenagers are struggling, but after reading your blog they don't think Texas seems so hard!! Love it. Well, if you want some mail from america send me your address and we'll write to you :)
carlintk(at)yahoo.com
Carlin Keller
Post a Comment