Monday, November 30, 2015

Sri Lanka

We've been in Sri Lanka since Friday and having a wonderful time.  It's been fun to experience a new country and culture with the kids.  It's something we haven't been able to do with any of the older kids yet and it's fun to watch them take it all in (well, besides Abu Dhabi, of course).  They are learning how very fortunate and blessed they are to have all that they do.
Lily's first plane ride!

Our van for the week.
Pictures of Colombo.









We found all kinds of fun things in the painting that hung at the restaurant.

Our first villa.  
European style swimsuit.

tuk-tuk

My Sri Lankan style meal.  Chicken curry with rice and all different sides.  


Fish market in Negombo.









Coconut husks.  They would use these to make brooms, etc.
A full vehicle!


Workers in the rice fields.
Pineapple plants.
Coconut tree logs.















 Pictures at the herb and spice garden.

 JR trying to break coconut rope.
 This mug is used for diabetes.  You mix a water drink in it, leave it sitting for a period of time, then drink it.  The fluid is supposed to help regulate your blood sugar.
 These two are touching a fawn that curls up when you touch it and reopens after about 10 minutes.
 Beginning of coconut tree.
 Massages.

 Beautiful.






 pictures at the Buddist temple.


















 Do you see the size of the spider on this car?  It was 2-3 inches in diameter and that rooster ate him!!
 Making silk material.
 Pictures near the bungalow we stayed in Kandy.





 Many of their bananas were these little miniature ones.  Most everyone loved them.  (Bryce doesn't like bananas!)




 Kandy bungalow.





 On our way to the waterfall in Nuwara-Eliya.








 Pictures from a cultural dance concert.










 Pics at botanical garden.





 Student nurses.
 pics of the tea plantations.







 A dog under our van, trying to stay out of the rain.
This boy, literally, climbed a mountain trying to sell us flowers.  We were zigzagging up the mountain and he would climb it, to get to us by the next turn.  My driver said we wouldn't be stopping or it would be "a big problem."  I couldn't believe the boys stamina!
pictures of Nuwara-Eliya  IT.  WAS.  BEAUTIFUL!
The grass front yard at the bungalow we stayed in there.

Someone's rooftop.  We saw people hanging out on their rooftops.
Going on a village hike!  We met a couple local boys, who then showed us how to get to a waterfall nearby.  





Lily enjoying the hike.
She started smiling just before we left for Sri Lanka.  I caught a smile on camera!
This is Terrance, our driver.  He showed me how they traditionally eat in Sri Lanka using their fingers to mix different relishes and side dishes with their main rice dish, then eating it, also with their fingers.  I, personally, loved the food.  
Picture of the outside of our Nuwara-Eliya bungalow.

Wild monkeys.

Jeep Safari.  We all really enjoyed seeing the wild elephants and other wildlife.


Whale watching, I mean chasing.




Can you see it!?  Yea, I didn't think so :)

The beach at Mirissa.  It was amazing!!!













Dutch fort off the coastline.

The one and only McDonald's we ever saw.  No we didn't stop.


JR-
Going to Sri Lanka was a pretty great experience. My hopes were up way high because my dad would always talk about the beaches, riding elephants, and safaris. When we got there I realized what this trip was really about. The culture of this place was cool. They were heavily influenced by the British so we got to drive on the left side of the road. Some of my favorite things of this trip were elephant riding, beaches, water falls, and seeing the life style of the people. I definitely realized all the things I had compared to other people in the world. It felt weird living in hotels that sometimes brought us fruit drinks, when the people right next door were struggling to put food on the table. 
Throughout most of the trip my mom let us stick to our "american food" instead of trying Sri Lankan food. Which was good since I don't know if I would have eaten much of the Sri Lankan food. The beach was amazing there and the waves were the biggest that I've ever seen personally. We spent close to five hours straight on the boogie boards racing each other off waves to the shore. When we went on boats to see whales I got sea sick and......well you know. It wasn't pretty. It was kind of a sad whale watching trip since they found one whale and they would chase the thing everywhere. You could only get 5 second glimpses of after it re-surfaced and then went under water. Then wherever it was sited the boats would steer as close as they could to the area. I'm pretty sure we were just terrorizing the whale. I liked seeing the turtles much more. We all got to hold baby turtles. They were so cute! I wish I could hold them again. They were about the size of my palm and they had little eyes, heads, and flippers. The adult turtles were really big. I never realized how big they could get.  
We also saw multiple water falls.  They were really beautiful but we could not hike to any of them because they were 'to dangerous. But at one point we asked some boys on the road we were staying on if they would take us to a waterfall. They took us straight to the base of it on these stone stairs. They beckoned us to go higher but there was a restricted sign and it started raining so we decided not to go any higher. 
Sri Lanka has these little three wheeled mini cars call Tuk Tuks. They were everywhere. They were basically the taxies of Sri Lanka. We got the opportunity to ride some(we need two to fit our family) to go get dinner. Later on in the trip, my dad and I were crossing a street to get umbrellas while my family stayed under a roof. We would then get to the van with the umbrellas without getting wet. As we were crossing the street my dad went right across but I hesitated. Then I started crossing, and Tuk Tuk is coming right at me. They do not stop, slow down, or obey any traffic laws in this country. You could get two buses on a two lane road( one lane going one way while the other going the other) side by side going the same direction. I am so glad we had  a driver. But back to the Tuk Tuk. I quickly ran out of the way. Barely feeling the tuk tuk as it shot passed. Crisis averted. I then crossed the street (I would use the word safely but you're never safe crossing the street in that country). Our family had a great time and made many memories.  I am definetly glad I got to have the experience. 

TYLER- my favorite thing about Sri Lanka is that we got to go boogie boarding and we hit some pretty huge waves and we kept flipping over on boards and we also went in tuck tucks to a restaurant where we were having dinner and that was also my first Sri Lankan meal ;D  

ANASTASIA-
Sri Lanka was a fun experience for me, because I got to see new things and how the people there were living and how much us (americans) should be grateful for all that we have and that we are very blessed. That was my favorite part was seeing how they lived and also just looking at how beautiful it is there and so much green everywhere! I also really liked riding the elephants it was really fun, and also our hotels where villas and they were big and it was fun my favorite one that we stayed in was probably the second one cause they where very kind and they also feed us so much much more then we get in restaurants and for so much cheaper, but then after we ate they talked with my parents and it was fun, and we where the first ones to stay at there villa as guests. Another day that could have been fun for me was when we went whale watching and where at the beach, only it really was not cause in the middle of the night i woke up with a cold and my nose was like dripping and my throat hurt and i had a head ache and it just was not fun, but when we went on the boat i thought it was going to be fun but i started to get sick on it and didn't feel that good at least i didn't throw up on it. But then after the boat and luckily the only reason we went back was cause we asked them to go back cause they where going to keep and keep trying to find whales and we wouldn't get close, we would just see the splashes out of the water and try to go see it and one time we saw the end of a tale and thats as best view we got from the boat, and so thats all we where probably going to see and everyone on the boat was starting to get sick and so we went back. When we where back at the hotel we got our swim suits on, and went to the beach. At the beach i felt little better but still had a little bit of a head ache still, but i still went and played with Rylee and we had fun. After a while of playing with her I went and tried the boogie boards and I didn't really know how to use them but still tried it without knowing how to and there was a big wave coming and I did it wrong and so I got hit by it and I swallowed  lots of salt water and got it in my eyes and nose and it was painful, but also the board came up and hit me in the head which made it so much worst then it was, so i was done with the water. Oh yeah and we went on a safari where we got to see wild life, well mostly elephants which we got to see a baby eating from the mother, and we saw lots of peacocks, water buffalo and lots of other types of birds, which was fun.

Bryce:  I liked the boogie boarding. I got to ride really big waves. One almost made me hit the ground. I still had fun though! We also got to ride a elephant! I was kind of scary cause we had to cross a bridge and I felt like the elephant might drop me and I would fall of the bridge and get very hurt. On the walk my elephant pooped and peed. He made a puddle of pee! I got to scrub a elephant with a coconut. We even fed a elephant.We even went on a boat to see whales there was only one that was there though. It came out of the water about 4 or 5 times. It was in the Indian Ocean. We swam in a swimming pool and played a game in the pool. One person would stand on the side of the pool listening for the splash of the other people getting in the pool then he would jump in and tag as many people as he could. The first one tagged is it. We went on a walk and saw a water fall. Two Sri Lankan boys showed us the way. They were very kind. We got to go on a safari. We saw elephants,water oxen,iguanas,and a lot of birds. The birds were very pretty. One of the iguanas got away before we took a picture. Two were trying to blend in with a branch. A elephant got in the way of one of the jeeps and my mom caught it on video. She didn't want us reaching her baby. we saw some peacocks. I never new they could fly! The water oxen were in the water trying to clean them selves. They didn't do to good. That was my experience.

No comments: